The Voodoo Contest Group was a group of US and UK hams dedicated to participating in the CQ World Wide CW Contest each year whilst having life-experiences in different (and sometimes challenging) countries. These days, the senior members of the group have retired from travelling but the active team members still operate together in DXpeditions and contests, often with other teams around the world.
This site is an archive of photos, memories and stories of the travels and experiences and serves as a memento to current ‘dudes and as a memorial to the ‘Voodudes’ who are no longer with us.
The map shows the African countries visited over 19 year period; other pages on this website show pictures of the road-journeys between them, the friends that were met, the crazy things that were done. When the 'Africa days' came to an end, the team continued to operate from other locations such as Kuwait, Cyprus and Suriname.
- Six world first place finishes
- Asian Multi-Multi record
- Five times ‘Contest Expedition of the Year’
- Over 250,000 contest QSOs
- Over 1,000,000 QSOs outside contests
- Travelled over 50,000 miles on African roads and dust tracks
- Over 8 million air-miles logged
- Over 5,000 spaghetti bolognaise dinners consumed
- Lots and lots of jokes and laughs!